4:30 PM ET, January 9, 2010
Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati, OH
CINCINNATI -- One playoff game into his career, Mark Sanchez is giving a pretty good off-Broadway performance.
More from ESPN.com
Cool, confident Mark Sanchez: Is this the same rookie the Jets tried to bubble wrap? In his playoffs debut, he beat the Bengals soundly, Tim Graham writes. Blog
Carson Palmer and the Bengals were left in a state of disbelief after their quick playoff exit, James Walker writes. Blog
• The Jets won their first playoff game since beating the Chargers in the 2004 Wild Card round.
• Mark Sanchez became just the fourth rookie QB in NFL history to win his postseason debut, joining Shaun King ('99 Bucs), Ben Roethlisberger ('04 Steelers) and Joe Flacco ('08 Ravens). Sanchez and Flacco are the only ones to do it on the road.
• Sanchez was an efficient 12 for 15 for 182 yards and 1 TD, good for a passer rating of 139.4.
• Jets rookie Shonn Greene carried 21 times for 135 yards and a TD. Greene's total was tied for the third-highest by a rookie in his postseason debut since the merger. It was also tied for the second-highest single-game total in Jets posteason history.
• The Bengals have not won a playoff game since 1990 (lost three straight). That 19-year drought is the longest active streak in the NFL.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
On the Mark
Mark Sanchez's performance against Cincinnati was the second-highest completion percentage in a postseason debut in which the QB attempted at least 15 passes. He finished only barely behind Kurt Warner.
|'99 Kurt Warner||STL||MIN||.818|
|'09 Mark Sanchez||NYJ||CIN||.800|
|'85 Ken O'Brien||NYJ||NE||.765|
|'91 Erik Kramer||DET||DAL||.763|
|'02 Chad Pennington||NYJ||IND||.760|
Greene was the third rookie since 2000 to rush for 100 yards in a playoff game. ... Feely had one punt in college and didn't punt in high school. ... Bengals LB Rashad Jeanty broke his left leg on the opening kickoff. ... Bengals WRs Laveranues Coles (thumb) and Andre Caldwell (ankle) suffered injuries in the second quarter, but returned in the second half. ... Palmer said he'll have surgery on his left (non-throwing) thumb, which he injured in the fifth game of the season. He wore a removable brace for the rest of the season.
CINCINNATI - JANUARY 9: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell stands on the sideline before the 2010 AFC wild-card...(Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from Penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||6.3||4.6|
Comp - Att
Yards per pass
Sacks - Yards Lost
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||1-2||1-3|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||07:07||Laveranues Coles 11 Yd Pass From Carson Palmer (Shayne Graham Kick)||0||7|
|TD||11:52||Shonn Greene 39 Yd Run (Jay Feely Kick)||7||7|
|TD||06:19||Dustin Keller 45 Yd Pass From Mark Sanchez (Jay Feely Kick)||14||7|
|TD||02:18||Thomas Jones 9 Yd Run (Jay Feely Kick)||21||7|
|TD||11:04||Cedric Benson 47 Yd Run (Shayne Graham Kick)||21||14|
|FG||05:47||Jay Feely 20 Yd||24||14|
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- Nation blog