<
>

Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor remain suspended

play
McGregor, Khabib suspensions extended (1:59)

Brett Okamoto reports the NSAC has voted to extend Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov's suspensions and release half of Khabib's $2M purse. (1:59)

LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously on Wednesday to extend its temporary suspensions of UFC stars Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor for their postfight actions at UFC 229 on Oct. 6 at T-Mobile Arena.

The NSAC placed Nurmagomedov (27-0) and McGregor (21-4) on 10-day suspensions Oct. 15 -- a necessary administrative move as it conducts an investigation, which is ongoing. The NSAC voted to extend those suspensions indefinitely, until the investigation is over and formal complaints are filed.

"I understand that the Nevada State Athletic Commission is doing a thorough investigation, which I am confident will benefit my client, Conor McGregor," the fighter's manager, Audie Attar, said.

The commission did, however, vote to release a portion of Nurmagomedov's $2 million purse, which it elected to freeze on Oct. 6. Nurmagomedov will receive $1 million of his purse, while the rest remains withheld. McGregor was immediately paid his entire $3 million purse, but NSAC chairman Anthony Marnell said that would not have been the case had the commission had comprehensive film to review on the night of the fight.

McGregor returned from a nearly two-year UFC absence to challenge Nurmagomedov for the lightweight title. He tapped to a neck crank in the fourth round. Nurmagomedov left the Octagon immediately after his victory to confront McGregor's corner. McGregor was caught on camera throwing punches at members of Nurmagomedov's team in the ensuing chaos.

Once the NSAC completes its investigation, it will file complaints against Nurmagomedov, McGregor and potentially other individuals involved. There is no concrete time frame for the process; however, Marnell told ESPN earlier this month he hoped to have it resolved before the end of the year.

Per Nevada regulations, there is no limit on the final punishment the NSAC could levy on Nurmagomedov and McGregor. Caroline Bateman of the Nevada attorney general's office informed the commission it can issue up to a lifetime ban and a fine of 100 percent of a fighter's purse.

Any lifetime ban or 100 percent fine seem unlikely, but it shows the scope in which the commission can operate.

The biggest fine ever issued in Nevada came against heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson, who was fined $3 million for inciting a brawl after he bit off part of Evander Holyfield's ear during a championship fight in June 1997. That figure represented 10 percent of Tyson's $30 million purse. Some of Nevada's regulations have changed since that time.