<
>

Brian Ortega submits Cub Swanson by guillotine choke in Round 2

UFC featherweight Brian Ortega admitted Saturday night he hasn't made a lot of noise and that talking trash just isn't his thing.

It's safe to say his submission skills are making plenty of noise for him.

Ortega (12-1) moved to 5-0 in the UFC after he submitted Cub Swanson via guillotine choke at 3:22 of the second round. The featherweight fight headlined UFC Fight Night at Fresno's Save Mart Center.

Just when it seemed as if Swanson (25-8) was starting to find his rhythm on the feet, Ortega bullied him to the fence, locked in a standing guillotine and then jumped guard on an unsuspecting Swanson. Swanson came close to shrugging Ortega off, but Ortega readjusted his grip and forced the tap.

"From his pictures, he has a big neck," Ortega said. "It felt like I was slipping and he was gonna throw me off, so I rewrapped [my grip]. Once I had it again, I knew I had it."

Swanson actually tapped while he was still standing, holding all of Ortega's weight. It was a tough result for Swanson, who came in on the last fight of his UFC contract. Swanson, 34, will now test free agency coming off his first loss since 2015.

Fighting out of Palm Springs, California, Swanson outlanded Ortega in total strikes 57-17, according to Fightmetric, but he was no match for Ortega's submission grappling.

The fight nearly ended in the first round when Ortega worked a choke from a front headlock. Swanson nearly went out but was saved by the bell.

Ortega, a 26-year-old who grew up in south Los Angeles, said he would like to wait for the winner of an expected title fight between Max Holloway and Frankie Edgar. Holloway just defended his title against Jose Aldo last weekend.

Ortega, who teaches seminars around the country between fights, also said he's looking for a financial partner to back charity work with troubled youth.

Mexico's Benitez outpoints Knight after bizarre bite

Featherweight Gabriel Benitez (20-6) picked up his fourth UFC win, defeating Jason Knight (20-4) via unanimous decision.

The 145-pound fight got off to a bizarre start when Knight, of Mississippi, was docked a point from the referee for biting. Replays clearly showed Benitez's fingers in Knight's mouth as he fought off a takedown attempt.

It was a strange performance by Knight all around. He spent the majority of the fight loading up on wild haymakers, which Benitez calmly slipped and countered. Benitez's short punches dominated the contest, and he outlanded Knight in total strikes 101-34.

The loss was the second in a row for Knight, who was outclassed in a first-round TKO loss to Ricardo Lamas at UFC 214 in July.

Moraes earns highlight-reel KO over Sterling

Former WSOF bantamweight champion Marlon Moraes (20-5-1) finally produced the UFC result he has been looking for, knocking out Aljamain Sterling with a vicious knee to the head just 67 seconds into the fight.

Moraes, who fights out of Toms River, New Jersey, signed with the UFC earlier this year. Saturday was his third appearance, but he hadn't yet flashed the best of his striking.

That changed against Sterling (14-3). Moraes hurt him with a left hook early and then finished him with the knee moments later.

It was Moraes' second fight in less than one month. He agreed to face Sterling on short notice, after picking up a split decision over John Dodson on Nov. 11.

"You watch on TV, but being here, feeling this Octagon, this cage -- it's something unbelievable," Moraes said. "I think I'm starting to like it. I'm going to give some trouble to the 135 [pounders]."