Blue Jays rally to give R.A. Dickey first win since July 1

SEATTLE -- Brett Lawrie feels right at home at Safeco Field.

The Blue Jays third baseman, who was born 120 miles away in Langley, British Columbia, had three hits to help Toronto earn a comeback 3-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners on Monday night.

The game was played before 32,300 fans, the vocal majority of whom were Canadians venturing down the freeway from British Columbia.

"Besides Canada Day and Opening Day, this was the best atmosphere of the year," said Mark DeRosa, who had a two-run, pinch-hit single in the eighth to provide the winning margin. "No offense to the Rogers Center, but this place was jumping tonight."

Lawrie soaked it in.

"The last road crowd like that was here last year," Lawrie said. "Obviously, it's a positive when the whole crowd is cheering for your team. It's usually the other team. They picked us up tonight.

"It was just a good energy. You could feel the energy in the building, everyone cheering for the Blue Jays. It was fun to be part of."

R.A. Dickey (9-11) went 7 2/3 innings, allowing one run on eight hits. The knuckleballer struck out five and walked two. He won for the first time since July 1.

"I had a good knuckleball out my hand tonight," Dickey said. "But it was certainly about Brett Lawrie tonight. That was fun to watch. His triple, his double, his double play. He was our sparkplug tonight. It was good to do that in front of a Canadian crowd. He enjoyed that."

Casey Janssen worked the ninth for his 20th save in 22 opportunities.

Hisashi Iwakuma (10-5), who pitched 7 1/3 innings, took the loss. He allowed two runs on four hits, striking out two and walking a season-high three. Over his past five starts, he is 3-0 with a 1.59 ERA.

Justin Smoak hit his 11th home run in the seventh to give the Mariners a 1-0 lead at the time. Since July 1, Smoak is batting .327 with 16 runs, eight doubles, five homers and 13 RBIs.

"He definitely had it dancing tonight," Smoak said of the knuckler. "When we did have runners on, we didn't capitalize on it.

"It (the home run pitch) was up. I was swinging. Just happened to catch it at the right time."

After Smoak's home run, the Jays responded with their three-run, eighth-inning rally. Lawrie opened with a triple into the right-center gap. With one out, Jose Reyes lined an RBI single to center, ending Iwakuma's outing.

Yoervis Medina then complicated the situation for the Mariners, giving up a single to Jose Bautista. Both runners advanced on Medina's wild pitch. Edwin Encarnacion walked to load the bases.

Oliver Perez entered, as did DeRosa, who lined his game-winning single to left on an 0-2 pitch. DeRosa is 5-of-14 as a pinch hitter this season with six RBIs.

"I always look at the matchup," DeRosa said. "He prides himself on attacking. There's a lot of herky-jerky motion. I was just trying to take the lower half out. I knew he'd challenge me. That's the type of guy he is."

The Mariners put together a rally in the third but Lawrie had a hand in ending it. Humberto Quintero opened with a ground-rule double that bounced over the left-field wall. With one out, Kyle Seager singled to right, as Quintero held at third.

Kendrys Morales then hit a two-hopper to third baseman Lowrie, who dived to his left to stop it. From his knees, he started a 5-4-3 double play to end the threat.

"I thought of looking back to third to see where he was but I wanted to get rid of it because knew he (Morales) was a slow runner," Lawrie said. "I've done that (thrown from the knees) a couple times. It's not too bad. You get a good feel for it after a while."

It was the first win for the Blue Jays at Safeco since Aug. 17, 2011.

The Mariners have had 51 of their 112 games decided by two runs or fewer.

Game notes
Dustin Ackley started at his old position, second base. He had been the Mariners' regular at that spot but a batting slump and Nick Franklin's emergence pushed him to the outfield. "They always told me to be ready, just in case. I see why now," Ackley said. Acting manager Robby Thompson said, "I don't hesitate for a minute to put him out there." ... Seattle manager Eric Wedge, who suffered a mild stroke July 22 and has missed 13 games, will miss more. There was hope he could rejoin the team by this homestand. Thompson said, "He's doing well. It is a slow process. ... When that time is, we're not really sure." ... LHP J.A. Happ was added to the Blue Jays' roster before the game, replacing RHP Steve Delabar (shoulder), who was placed on the 15-day DL. RHP Michael Schwimer was designated for assignment to make room for Happ on the 40-man roster. ... The Mariners sent Tom Wilhelmsen, who was the team's closer until he was replaced Friday, to Triple-A Tacoma, The Seattle Times reported.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.