A look at some of the top statistical performers and top-10 driver ratings at Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, TN going into the Food City 500 on April 23, 2017.
Top 10 Driver Ratings at Bristol Motor Speedway
Matt Kenseth............................ 100.9
Kyle Busch............................... 100.5
Kevin Harvick............................. 95.7
Chase Elliott............................... 94.9
Kurt Busch................................. 93.1
Jimmie Johnson.......................... 91.6
Brad Keselowski......................... 91.5
Denny Hamlin............................. 90.2
Dale Earnhardt Jr....................... 87.4
Kyle Larson................................ 87.4
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2016 (24 total) races among active drivers at Bristol Motor Speedway.
· Groundbreaking for Bristol International Speedway, as Bristol Motor Speedway was originally known, took place in 1960. The track was an exact half-mile.
· First Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race was July 30, 1961; Jack Smith won the event (with relief from Johnny Allen).
· All of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races have been scheduled for 500 laps, except for both races in 1976 and the second in 1977, which were 400 laps.
· In the fall of 1969, the track was reshaped and re-measured to .533-miles.
· The name changed to Bristol International Raceway in 1978.
· The first night race was held in the fall of 1978.
· The surface was changed from asphalt to concrete in 1992.
· The name changed to Bristol Motor Speedway in May 1996.
· The track was resurfaced between races in 2007, and the turns were ground down in 2012 to eliminate part of the progressive banking.
· There have been 112 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Bristol Motor Speedway since the first race in 1961, two races each season.
· 441 drivers have competed in at least one Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Bristol; 311 in more than one.
· NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty leads the series in starts at Bristol with 60. Matt Kenseth leads all active MENCS drivers with 34 starts.
· Joey Logano leads all active MENCS drivers in average starting position at Bristol with a 7.760.
· Logano (7.760) and Chase Elliott (9.500) are the only two active drivers with an average starting position inside the top 10.
· Ryan Newman leads the series among active drivers with the most Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at Bristol without visiting Victory Lane at 30.
· Paul Menard (19 starts) leads the series in starts with the fewest DNFs (0) at Bristol.
· Thirty-three drivers have made their first series career start at Bristol Motor Speedway; but only one is currently active in the MENCS - AJ Allmendinger (03/25/2007).
· Fred Lorenzen won the inaugural Coors Light pole with a speed of 79.225 mph in a Ford.
· 48 different drivers have poles at Bristol, led by Mark Martin and Cale Yarborough with nine each. Denny Hamlin and Ryan Newman lead all active drivers with three each.
· 10 different drivers have posted consecutive poles at Bristol Motor Speedway; Mark Martin is the only of the 10 to win four consecutive poles at Bristol: Fireball Roberts (swept 1962), Fred Lorenzen (swept 1963), Richard Petty (1967-’68), Bobby Allison (swept 1972), Cale Yarborough (swept 1973; swept 1977; swept 1980), Darrell Waltrip (swept 1981), Geoff Bodine (swept 1986), Mark Martin (swept 1995-1996- all four races; and swept 2009); Rusty Wallace (swept 1998), Jeff Gordon (swept 2002) and Denny Hamlin (fall 2013, spring 2014).
· Youngest Bristol pole winner: Joey Logano (3/21/2010 - 19 years, 9 months, 25 days) - his first career series pole.
· Oldest Bristol pole winner: Harry Gant (8/27/1994 - 54 years, 7 months, 17 days).
· Seven different drivers have posted their first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series career pole at Bristol. Joey Logano is the only active driver to win his first MENCS pole at Bristol (03/21/2010).
· 42 different drivers have won at Bristol, led by Darrell Waltrip (12). Kurt Busch and Kyle Busch each have five wins, the most among active drivers.
· 12 drivers have won consecutive MENCS races at Bristol led by Darrell Waltrip with seven consecutive victories from 1981-1984. The other 11 are Fred Lorenzen (1963-1964 sweep), David Pearson (1968 sweep), Bobby Allison (1972 sweep), Cale Yarborough did it twice (1974 sweep and four straight from 1976-1977), Richard Petty (1975 sweep), Dale Earnhardt also did twice (1985 sweep and 1987 sweep), Alan Kulwicki (1992 sweep), Rusty Wallace (2000 sweep), Kurt Busch (2003 sweep and 2004 spring race), Kyle Busch (2009 sweep) and Brad Keselowski (2011 fall-2012 spring).
· Youngest Bristol winner: Kyle Busch (03/25/2007 - 21 years, 10 months, 23 days).
· Oldest Bristol winner: Dale Earnhardt (08/28/1999 - 48 years, 3 months, 30 days).
· Five drivers have posted their first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series career win at Bristol Motor Speedway: Dale Earnhardt (04/01/1979), Rusty Wallace (04/06/1986), Ernie Irvan (03/25/1990), Elliott Sadler (03/25/2001) and Kurt Busch (03/24/2002).
· Junior Johnson leads the series in car owner wins at Bristol with 16; Roger Penske leads the series among active car owners with the most wins at Bristol with 12.
· The race winner has started from the pole 24 times (21.6%) - the most productive starting position. The last driver to win from the pole was Carl Edwards (Spring, 2016).
· Six drivers have won from the pole position multiple times: Bobby Allison (1972 twice), Cale Yarborough (1973, 1977 twice, 1980), Darrell Waltrip (1981 twice, 1982), Rusty Wallace (1991, 1993, 1999, 2000), Matt Kenseth (2005, 2015) and Carl Edwards (2008, 2016).
· 37 of the 112 (33%) MENCS races at Bristol have been won from the front row: Pole position (24 wins); second-place (13 wins).
· 65 of the 112 (58%) MENCS races have been won from a top-five starting position.
· 89 of the 112 (79.4%) MENCS races have been won from a top-10 starting position
· Six of the 112 (5.4%) races have been won from a starting position outside the top 20; most recent was Kevin Harvick in 2016 fall race - he started 24th.
· The deepest in the field that a race winner has started is 38th, by Elliott Sadler in 2001.
· Eight different manufacturers have won in the MENCS at Bristol; led by Chevrolet with 43 victories; followed by Ford (36), Toyota (9), Dodge (8), Pontiac (8), Buick (4), Plymouth (3) and Oldsmobile (1).
· Four car numbers have produced eight or more Bristol MENCS wins:
Car Number - (Number of Wins) - Most Recent Win
o No. 11 - (19 wins) - Denny Hamlin, 2012
o No. 2 - (12 wins) - Brad Keselowski, 2012
o No. 17 - (eight wins) - Matt Kenseth, 2006
o No. 3 - (eight wins) - Dale Earnhardt, 1999
Additional Finishing Position Stats
· Richard Petty leads the series in runner-up finishes at Bristol with 10; Kevin Harvick leads all active drivers with five; followed by Kyle Busch with three.
· Darrell Waltrip leads the series in top-three finishes at Bristol with 23 followed Richard Petty with 18. Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch and Matt Kenseth lead all active drivers with 8 each.
· Darrell Waltrip and Richard Petty lead the series in top-five finishes at Bristol with 26 each. Matt Kenseth leads all active drivers with 13; followed by Kevin Harvick with 11.
· Richard Petty leads the series in top-10 finishes at Bristol with 37. Matt Kenseth leads the series among active drivers in top-10 finishes with 20; followed by Jimmie Johnson (17).
· Chase Elliott leads the series among active drivers in average finishing position at Bristol with a 9.5.
Track/Event Specific Stats
· 13 of the last 17 MENCS races (76.4%) that have ended under green at Bristol Motor Speedway have a Margin of Victory of less than a second.
· Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest margin of victory in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Bristol is the 3/25/2007 race won by Kyle Busch with a MOV of 0.064 second.
· Two of the 112 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Bristol Motor Speedway have been shortened due to weather conditions. The first was the 8/27/1983 race won by Darrell Waltrip and the second was on 3/31/1996 and won by Jeff Gordon.
· Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Bristol Motor Speedway three times; most recently August 25, 2012.
· There have been five NASCAR Overtime finishes at Bristol - all five were the spring race: 2007 (500/504); 2008 (500/506); 2009 (500/503); 2014 (500/503); 2015 (500/511).
Female Competitor Stats
· Two female drivers have made Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at Bristol: Janet Guthrie and Danica Patrick.
-- NASCAR --